International & Brexit
Our Policy Position
We work closely with government and support members in several areas of international policy. We focus on:
– the application of the Tier 4 student visa and migration
– working with Universities UK International to influence the development of international research programmes, such as Hozion Europe
– supporting campaigns such as Study UK, Discover You, which promotes the benefits of a UK education to international students.
We deliver joint projects with others to ensure that small and specialist viewpoints are revealed. See links to our work for our project with Uniac on Tier 4 processes and the key risks associated with this.
We work with members, Universities UK International, and other sector bodies to ensure that Higher Education takes a central place in the negotiation of the UK’s exit from the EU and the future relationship.
Gordon McKenzie, GuildHE’s CEO, sits on the Government’s
– Guaranteeing the current status of non-UK EU staff and students in the UK, and that of UK staff and students based elsewhere in the EU
– Ensuring that UK academics are able to collaborate with researchers across the EU and further afield
– Securing continued access to EU research and innovation funding streams, such as the Horizon 2020 programme, or gaining adequate alternative funding
– Fostering globally aware students through Erasmus+ and other exchange programmes
More information on sector priorities can be found on the Universities UK website.
– Protecting UK HE’s ability to recruit and retain talented students, academics and support staff from around the world
– Safeguarding development provided by EU structural funding programmes through
– Providing long-term certainty for the UK HE Sector
Links to our work
GuildHE member views on UKVI visa regulations (Sept 2017)