GuildHE is recruiting a Public Affairs Manager
Salary: in range £34,000-£39,000 including London Weighting
Working pattern: Full-time (35 hour week), Permanent
Annual leave: 25 days plus bank holidays
Location: Based in central London but with occasional UK-wide travel
Reports to: Deputy CEO
This new role is an exciting opportunity to lead GuildHE’s Parliamentary engagement activity and enhance GuildHE’s communications with members, the public and key higher education stakeholders.
1. Develop, manage and deliver the parliamentary strategy in liaison with the CEO.
2. Identify and maintain a network of influential and interested parliamentarians, special advisers and officials across the full range of GuildHE interests, and promote the profile and activities of member institutions.
3. Monitor parliamentary business and government announcements, including in the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly and the NI Assembly, identifying areas for intervention.
4. Engage with member universities to identify and pursue opportunities to influence decision-makers at national, regional and local level.
5. Write and disseminate high quality briefings and evidence for parliamentarians, Select and Bill Committees, Ministers and officials.
6. Draft parliamentary questions, EDMs and topics for debate and identify any relevant legislation and guidance.
7. Provide timely and professional responses to enquiries from Ministers, special advisers, MPs, Peers, research staff, member universities and other stakeholders.
8. Provide updates and briefings for member universities on parliamentary and political activity of relevance.
9. Plan and deliver the GuildHE party conference activity and organise parliamentary events such as parliamentary receptions and round-table seminars.
10. Generate content across various channels – newsletters, social media and website when required. Write press releases as required.
11. Raise GuildHE’s profile among external audiences, and highlight the impact of GuildHE”s work to the membership. Disseminate the material from GuildHE’s research and reports and send briefings and key messages to stakeholders.
12. Assist in the preparation of papers on relevant matters for the GuildHE Board.
13. Actively support the delivery of the GuildHE strategy.
14. Undertake any other reasonable duties as may be required.
The successful candidate will have had some experience working in or with Parliament, and experience of communications. In addition, we are looking for the following attributes:
- Proven experience of working in external communications and engaging with Parliament and/or devolved administrations
- Understanding of how to influence to achieve policy change
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly proficient user of computer packages including MS Office and G Suite
- Ability to prepare and deliver reports and briefings
- Ability to build relationships, foster an environment of trust, confidence and cooperation
- Ability to meet deadlines within a busy administrative environment
- Knowledge and understanding of the higher education policy environment
- Educated to degree level or an equivalent professional experience
- Experience of events management
- Experience of using CRM systems and social media for professional communication
GuildHE is an officially recognised representative body for UK Higher Education. Our members include universities, university colleges, further education colleges and specialist institutions from both the traditional and private (“for profit” and “not for profit”) sectors. Member institutions include some major providers in professional subject areas including art, design and media, music and the performing arts; agriculture and food; the built environment; education; maritime; health and sports.
This post is within the small dynamic team based in central London, which provides policy support to GuildHE’s members and promotes their interests to a wide audience. The office team also develops briefings, guidance and opportunities for members and their staff to share good practice.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to Dee Easter, Head of Resources, email@example.com by Thursday 2 May 2019.
Interviews will be held in London on Tuesday 14 May 2019.