University research is vital to the UK’s global reputation for excellent higher education. UK academic research is amongst the most highly cited and highest quality research in the world.
In many specialist, regionally focused and smaller universities the roles of researcher/teacher and, frequently, professional practitioner, are inextricably linked – which leads to excellence in research.
These universities have a strong story to tell, including that:
- They receive a very small proportion of the UK’s research funding but achieve significant proportions of world-leading and excellent research, as well as high impact scores
- They have a particularly proud record of generating research with high economic, industrial and social impact
- They advance research in important areas including food security, the creative industries and health
By employing industry-active academics, research activity is linked closely to industry needs and curricula are up to date
See the chapter: Research and Innovation
See other key messages:
- Strength in diversity
- Understanding employers
- International competitiveness
- Extending opportunity & unlocking talent
- The student experience